Sunday, March 19, 2017

Week 6 Storytelling: From the Journals of Sinbad: Hamunaptra

The setting of our story, Africa in the year 1890

18/03/1890: Suez, Egypt
Today is the beginning of our expedition westward into the desert. Supplies have been gathered and the camels have been prepared for the departure. We can only hope that the first leg of our expedition goes smoothly and we are able to reach Alexandria within the planned three days.

22/03/1890: Egypt
Four days into the expedition and we have already fallen behind schedule. A pack camel has broken its leg during an ascent of a sand dune, forcing us to lose a day determining a future course of action. Ultimately we were forced to shoot the camel and distribute the supplies amongst the other supply camels.

23/03/1890: Alexandria, Egypt
Two days late, but we have finally reached the city of Alexandria, where we will be gathering our remaining travelers. It is here that Dr. Nathan Walters, the proprietor of our expedition, joined us. Dr. Walters has faith in my research that leads us to believe there is a lost treasure in the desert. Hopefully I am able to deliver, for I fear if I fail the end result will be my own demise. 

01/04/1890: Sahara Desert, Tripoli
We have made our way further into the desert, following the directions from the various manuscripts I have spent the previous five years decoding. All of this work and preparation to now only be slowed by the travel time itself. We are moving slower than expected, several of Dr. Walters’ aides insisted on traveling with horses rather than camels. This foolish decision caused us to slow our pace when the horses become dehydrated.  

11/04/1890: Sahara Desert, French West Afrika  
Progress has been slow, but we are now only 800km outside of the lost city. It is becoming more real now than ever before just how close we coming to the possibility of finding Hamunaptra.

14/04/1890: Hamunaptra, Sahara Desert, French West Afrika
WE HAVE DONE IT! We found the city today. Dr. Walters is thrilled and his excitement even exceeds my very own. I still do not trust his aides though. There appears to be something off about them. As if they may be hiding something from the rest of the group. 

15/04/1890: Hamunaptra, Sahara Desert, French West Afrika    
Excavations began on the site today as we move into the second part of the expedition, finding the treasure room hidden here on the site. We have a set of clues to go off of here, but Dr. Walters’ expertise on these kinds of sites will be the ultimate guiding force behind our work efforts moving forward.

20/04/1890: Hamunaptra, Sahara Desert, French West Afrika
My distrust of Dr. Walters’ aides has proven to be true. Members of the group have begun to disappear after asking too many questions that these men did not seem fond of. Everyone is uneasy now, including Dr. Walters who seems to be the most fearful of us all here.

01/05/1890: Somewhere in the Sahara Desert.
It has been three days now since Dr. Walters was marched in front of the expeditionary force and shot by his “aides” for failing to find the treasure room in time. After witnessing this I began my plan to escape and take whatever I can with me. I have managed to get away with a map of the city and excavation grounds, along with enough rations for a week. God help me in finding help before my supplies run out. Or worse yet, the “aides” track me down.

Bibliography: The Voyages of Sinbad  

Image 1: View of the Suez Canal, Egypt, source: Wikimedia Commons
Image 2: View of Alexandria in Egypt, source: Col. Turner of the 3rd Regiment of Guards 
Image 3: The front of the temple Al Khazneh, source: Wikimedia Commons


Author’s Note: This is a new story told in the first person that centers on an adventurous character by the name of Sinbad. The inspiration for this work of fiction comes from the Voyages of Sinbad, a series of short stories depicting the voyages of Sinbad the Sailor and is told in the first person perspective. Sinbad is depicted as a strong and capable character in these stories, with the ability to overcome overwhelming odds when faced with a challenge. I chose to depict it as if you were reading his actual journal entries, providing a greater connection to Sinbad himself and a more personal look into his thoughts. The date is patterned in the European style due to the setting of North Africa, which also accounts for Sinbad using the European spelling of “Afrika” when writing in his personal journal. Further inspiration comes from the Indiana Jones film franchise and other adventure-based films from Hollywood. The city of Hamunaptra is actually taken from The Mummy series of films starring Brendan Fraser. The setting of Africa at the turn of the century remains true to the region of Sinbad’s traditional stories, while also capitalizing on the exploration fever that occurred during this period. Wandering through the desert in search of lost treasures may be a stereotype, but it is one that is always capable of producing an interesting story.         

7 comments:

  1. Hey Cole! Oh my goodness I LOVED the way you wrote your story! It was so fun and easy to read as it was almost like a diary! I want to know so bad what happens when the story ends! Did he make it? Did the aides find him? This would be so fun to do a storybook or portfolio about as it could continue on after and let us know what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job with the diary format! It was concise yet still portrayed the details we needed to know to keep the story going. It also kept things suspenseful and kept the reader wondering what would happen next. In reference to your author's note, I did get an Indiana Jone's vibe from this story especially because it involved danger and lost treasure. I am very curious as to how it ends now and if he makes it out alive. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..for someone who isn't used to creative writing, you sure did it justice! I really enjoyed the way you wrote your story. I loved the different elements that you provided as well, from the dates to the incorporations of The Mummy and Indiana Jones. I love The Mummy series, so you definitely can't go wrong with telling an old fashioned treasure-desert hunting story. I don't know much about the story of Sinbad, but from reading this, I'd like to get into reading the series.
    Great job and keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Cole! I seriously loved your take on this story. It was very creative and rather different from the original, which I liked. I like how you also used Indiana Jones as an inspiration for the story line. I liked the way you chose to format the story as journal entries as well. I also really like that you made everything authentic from the way you wrote the dates in the journal entries all the way down to the spelling of “Afrika.” It makes it really hard to give you feedback on this story because it was SO great! I guess I only have one piece of advice-It would be cool though to expand on his journal entries and let the audience know whether he was successful or not. But then again I also like how it left me hanging a little. Haha. That probably doesn't help at all but good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This such a cool way of writing a story and I love that you chose it. You make the reader feel like they are actually reading journal entries. I like how you made up a new adventure for Sindbad. I was to know more now. I'm really curious how he escapes, or does he escape? Still, you did a really great job with this story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was super nifty! I really liked the unique style you employed with the journal entries, especially with all of the pictures that went with them. I totally would have read more of this if there had been more. It reminded me of a Nancy Drew game I played once too besides just Indiana Jones. It was a super fun read!

    ReplyDelete