Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Week 9 Story Planning: The Dark Days



The first decision to be made when constructing this new story based upon the Cherokee tales of old is to determine the where and when for my narrative to take place. There are three major options when considering distinct points in a historical setting for the Cherokees; the traditional homelands in Georgia and on the east coast, the Trail of Tears, and the more modern place of residence here in Oklahoma. Placing the story in Georgia would fall in line with the birthplace of the tale, and thus continue the tradition set forth. However, constructing a narrative that occurs along the Trail of Tears would provide ample opportunity for the characters to be faced with an immense amount of difficulty facing them, with the only possibilities being to overcome the situation, or fall before it. Finally Oklahoma would allow for a modern setting that can allow for more connection between the narrative and the reader. In the end I think the story would be best suited during the Trail of Tears. As much as I would like to write the story in the form of journal entries of an individual who is suffering through the trouble of the long journey, however I have already used this approach during the course of the semester concerning the hero Sinbad. The story will be of an elder tribe member who is tasked with being the liaison between the tribe members and the United States’ government. The presentation suggestion for this week to be a bedtime story is an interesting one. This could be a grandparent telling the story to their own grandchild of the experiences passed down to them from their own family concerning how they handled the long trip westward during this difficult time. Further research into being able to vividly describe the terrain and atmosphere of the Trail of Tears would do well in providing greater detail for a darker style of “bedtime story”. 

Bibliography: Myths of the Cherokees, James Mooney (1909)    

3 comments:

  1. I'm so curious to see what you come up with. Even though the Trail of Tears was a horrible time in history, I think it still offers a really good setting for a Cherokee story. I also really like the idea of it being told through a grandparent. Grandparents have such a sweet bond with grandchildren and I think it would be good to show that. It would also make it that much more personal and deep. I don't know a lot about Cherokee myths, but I'm sure your story will be really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cole. You have great ideas for your story. Writing about the Trail of Tears can be very interesting as it was a tough time in history. However I think with the use of a narrator such as a grandparent it would add a lot more value. You can try to portray a lesson through a personal experience of the grandfather while shedding light on important events that occurred in that time context. Goodluck with choosing your specific topic, you have great ideas lined up here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cole! I am really excited to see a story about the Trail of Tears. It is a time I have frequently talked about in classes since I have grown up in Oklahoma. I really like the idea of writing bedtime stories, though I'm not sure how I would react as a child to hearing such a tragic story! Maybe you could try altering the story so that the grandparent is telling the story, only with a "hero" conquering the challenges of the Trail. I also think it is a great idea to research the landscape -- it will really be able to get reader into the story.

    ReplyDelete