Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Reading Notes: Homer's Illiad Part B

(painting of a triumphant Achilles with Hector's body in tow)
A climatic battle between two of the greatest warriors in the tale is an aspect I plan to avoid in my story post upcoming. Warfare is not about the deeds of one man necessarily, but rather the accomplishments that can be made when individuals come together as a unit to protect one another and move forward toward the end goal of victory. In points of this story there is intersection by the Greek Gods as the events ongoing on Earth, to make the story appeal to a wider audience I will be avoiding constant religious references or the appearances of Gods every other turn, rather saving their appearances for truly heroic or dramatic moments of the story. Again I find the Greek names difficult to read and pronounce in my head, leading to the rhythm of the storytelling to be thrown off, more non-traditional names could help to alleviate this issue for myself and other readers. As mentioned before on my previous notes, a series of more dramatic battles would be entertaining  and provide a faster pace for the story, rather than years of siege warfare with the occasional skirmish here and there. Hades and Zeus are traditional rivals in Greek lore, why not use them in my story, with each backing one side or the other simply to anger their eternal rival during the conflict. My story will not end with a definite end to the tale, but rather provide a cliff hanger so the reader can decide the end of the tale to be in the way they feel is best. 

Bibliography: Homer's Illiad (retold by A.J. Church),  
http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/05/iliad-rousing-of-achilles.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment