Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Week 11 Story: The Poncas Take the Plains

For the Plains Indians there were few things as important to them as the horse. This creature that would come to be synonymous with the tribes of the Western Frontier and our nation’s advancement beyond the Mississippi was not even native to this land. Although it was brought to these shores by invaders it would come to play a major role in the Ponca Nation. This is the story as to how the Poncans came to know the horse, or as they call it, shóⁿge.



There came a day when the Poncan elders began to receive visions, proclaiming that their true homeland followed a watery snake trail. This watery snake trail was actually the Missouri River, which lay northward of their current location. They followed this river to a place where they could step over the water and it is here that they crossed into their new homeland. During this time the Ponca had no animals aside from dogs to aid in their daily tasks and travel requirements. This was the case until the Ponca Nation came into contact with the Padouca (Comanche).


The Comanche were initially extremely confrontational with the Poncans. They first came to blows with one another as the two tribes were both hunting on buffalo on the plains. During these early confrontations the Poncans marveled at the skill in which the Comanche rode on the backs of these large and agile beasts. While the Comanche were fine horseman they were severely lacking in terms of skill with a bow and arrow, as well as having produced inferior quality weapons compared to the Poncans.

Their conflicts would continue for many moons, with neither side holding the advantage. The Poncans’ skill with the bow and arrow outweighed the advantages that should have belonged to the Comanche who were on horseback. Feeling that further conflict would lead to nothing, chieftains from either tribe came together on neutral ground to begin negotiating a peace with one another. When the two chiefs came together the Comanche spoke first, in perfect Poncan. This shocked the Ponca chief, who would soon learn that the two tribes were not as different as he once believed them to be.

Soon the once opposing tribes were trading with one another; most importantly they began to educate the other in specific areas where one excelled while the other struggled behind. The Poncans showed the Comanche how to construct a better bow and arrow, while the Comanche gave the Poncans horses and instructed them on how to ride.

For a while following this there was peace between the two tribes, with each preferring to stay within their own hunting lands. This was until a Comanche hunting party ventured too far from home, resulting in an altercation with a group of Poncans who were hunting in the same area. The Comanches' attacked first, leading to an altercation that would mark the end for the Comanche in the region. While no men died in this skimish, the Poncans took this as a direct attack on the tribe as a whole. The following evening a group of Poncan warriors crept their way into the Comanche camp, where they stole all of the tribe's horses and killed the men who had attacked their clan members on the hunting expedition.

This would mark the end of the Comanche in the region, resulting in the Ponca Nation establishing a permanent foothold over the lands the Comanche once held. Without the acquisition of the horse this would have never been possible. The Ponca would go on to thrive during their time on the open plains, with bountiful buffalo hunts and excursions. This would come to be a period of prosperity for the nation. 


Author’s Note: The original story is a Ponca Nation tale explaining how they came to be in possession of the horse, Tradition of the Finding of Horses. The story depicts multiple interactions with the Padouca (Comanche) and how these altercations lead to the Ponca Nation receiving the skills necessary to tame the horse. The original tale explains in detail how the Poncas used their new tool in the horse to drive the Comanche from their region of the plains to eventually establish a larger foothold of control for themselves. My narrative remains fairly close to the original, with minor changes made to the descriptions of the tribes’ altercations. A major portion of the story I did remove from my narrative was how the Comanches came to know the Ponca language. My story is less historically based and more approachable for the average reader. I chose to provide more of a backstory as to why the Poncas eventually drove the Comanche from the plains, whereas the original jumps to a quick conclusion with little explanation. Aside from this, the main addition I chose to make was of an opening paragraph describing the importance the horse played in the lives of plains people, as well as the effect on our perception of these nations it has left upon our history. This is an important story to tell, the horse being introduced to this society was similar to the introduction of the automobile to 20th century society.


Bibliography: Myths and Legends of the Great Plains, Katharine Berry Judson (1913)  
Photo 1 Information: A plains' indian hunting the mighty buffalo 
Source: Wikipedia 
Photo 2 Information: Map of the Missouri River watershed 
Source: Wikimedia Commons  
Further Information: Omaha and Ponca Digital Dictionary       

10 comments:

  1. I haven't read the original story, but I really like what you turned it in to! I saw in your author's note that you added the opening paragraph to discuss the importance of the horse in this culture. I thought that definitely contained details to strengthen the rest of your story. The structure of your story is good, and you're a very talented writer.
    I thought the story was very interesting, and contained a nice cultural insight.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you wrote this in a fun way, yet it is still historically relevant. A lot of historical stories are difficult to read and seem overloaded with facts and dry literature. You wrote your story in a way that explains the history while still allowing your readers to enjoy a thrilling tale. I also really love the picture that you chose, because it now only shows a horse which is a big focus of the story but it shows a buffalo, which were very important in Indian history as well. Good job.
    Side note... "For a while following this there was piece between the two tribes..." you mean p-e-a-c-e here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, I love the image you used. I think it's a great representation of the actual time period for the Native Americans. Your story is great! I might suggested adding in dialogue. I, myself, did not care for history, and this reads a bit like a history textbook in my opinion. Dialogue would help develop your characters as well as help the reader follow along. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cole,
    I really enjoyed reading your story. I have not read the original, but would very much like to after reading yours. I liked how you set up the scene with the different tribes and giving them qualities that the other tribe lacked. I liked how you added more about the horses in the opening paragraph, but maybe felt that you could have kept the theme going just to display their importance throughout. Your story makes me what the altercation was between the two tribes. Maybe they could have resolved it some how? Overall, great story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Cole, fantastic image to portray the livelihood of the Native American tribes. Horses were integral to their continued success and survival. I haven't read the original story, but I liked how yours was so informative while also being an enjoyable read. In the sixth paragraph, I think you meant to write "peace" instead of "piece", but other than that I didn't notice any other grammatical errors. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Cole! I have read a few stories from your storybook before and I am happy to be back reading some more. I really liked this story a lot. I also like the image that you used for this story as well. I did see a couple of grammatical mistakes and typos. Most of them were just missing prepositions such as "to, and, with." I think you could easily fix this with another run-through. I definitely recommend reading out loud very slowly. Sometimes, when I read out loud, I read too fast and I miss some of my mistakes. There were also a couple of redundant sentences such as "that would mark the end for the Comanche in the region" and "this would mark the end of the Comanche in the region." You should be able to fix this by trying to say it in another way the second time. It would also be great to hear some more about the original source and how you worked with it to come up with the idea for your own story. I would love to hear what inspired you. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cool story! I've never read much about the Plains Indians, so this was a really cool perspective to read about. It's very interesting to me that the Poncan word for Comanche is different from our word. It makes sense, of course, but it still always seems to me as if everyone would call them Comanche. Anyway, I really enjoyed your story and learning about how the Poncans got horses! I noticed a redundant sentence like Jennifer pointed out, but otherwise, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting story to retell. I enjoyed it and you did a really great job at describing the situation and setting up the story. I was glad when the Poncans and Comanche made peace, and then disappointed when it didn't last. It was really interesting to learn about how the Poncans came to know horses. Very good job with your story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I am not originally in your class so your stories may differ a little on content but overall I enjoyed your story even though I did not spend time reading the original. You did a great job in the intro describing exactly what you wanted your story to convey so that helped the readers begin to get in tune with what they are about to read. I think someone else already mentioned about dialogue and I agree with them. I think dialogue could have helped make your story a little more relatable. People tend to like something more if they can relate to it in somehow. Also I think dialogue would help readers visualize more the time period you're illustrating through your story telling. Although you did a fantastic job with your author's note and explaining why you wrote what you did and I enjoyed that quite a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do agree with what you stated about it being less historical and more approachable for the average reader. I feel like if these stories consist of too much historical information, it will feel like we are reading a history textbook. I like that you left that part and filled it in with original ideas. It made it a much more enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete